Wednesday, November 10, 2010

It is Good to Be In Fellowship


There were two men of great wisdom gathered around a fire one winter evening. One man spoke of the many reasons why he needed not attend church anymore. “I’m very well versed in the teachings of the Bible.” “I don’t need anyone to interpret the Bible for me.” “I have so many other things to do.” He found his own place of communion with God. He went on and on with the many reasons why he did not need to go to church anymore. The other man sat quietly, poking gently at the fire. And as his friend concluded his list, he gently removed one burning coal from the fire and placed it to the side. The friends watched as the burning ember quickly faded into a cold, black rock. No other words were needed.

I first heard of the word “fellowship” in church. It was defined as “being among like-minded believers.” Initially, I thought it was a little ironic to find it here again among business professionals in a diversity initiative. Yet, after a little thought, I found the term quite befitting. People don’t go to church like they used to and this is partly because they are spending so much more time working or thinking about work. Our fellowship is meeting a social need for many busy professionals.

As an entrepreneur, I leverage relationships into profits. As a result, the years have misled me to seek financial or professional benefits in every interaction. For example, the alumni association recently formed with a mission of expanding our fellowship opportunities. My first response was “for what purpose?” The idea of gathering for the sake of gathering was a waste of time in my mind. Yet in reality, I probably need the fellowship more than anyone.

Relationships for the sake of relationships is an idea that I would like to continue to explore. I am fueled after every experience with my classmates. I feel alive and on fire after every event. While not a religious experience, it is definitely a spiritual one. To be among a diverse collection of fellows committed to understanding, developing and serving with their gifts is a blessing in itself. I look forward to every opportunity to share with my classmates in conversation and friendship.

It’s good to be reminded of the value of fellowship. Can you help me generate a list of 25 reasons why fellowshipping with fellows is a good idea?

1 comment:

  1. Reason #1: It helps each of us understand our unique "value."

    ReplyDelete