Friday, October 22, 2010

The Purpose

Disclaimer: I’m probably too excited about this new diversity initiative in St. Louis. The Initiative, in short, is a program designed for minority business professional in the St. Louis Region. One of the goals of the program is to bring aspiring corporate and non-profit professionals together to sharpen their tools for leadership in their respective organizations. As an entrepreneur, I have petitioned the director for years to participate in this program. I’m excited to say, “This is my year.” I was selected to participate in this year’s cohort.


Now, with that being said. I am too damned excited to be in this group of high powered, good looking, positive people. Every month, we get together and have the best presenters and speakers come and inspire us to be GREAT. That’s the purpose, to get together to get better. The director reminds us every session that “This is all about you!” There are a few of us that take these words literally and forget about the other people in the room. I’m personally okay with that.


But on the other hand, the point has been made that we all have different ears and eyes. Which means that we often hear and see things differently. Therefore, I thought it might be useful to share my reflection on our experiences. Being sensitive to the confidential nature of our discussion, I will never disclose any personal information about our session. In addition, any personal information that may be disclosed in comments or post will be discouraged and removed immediately. It is my hope to represent key learning and my personal reflections. My hope is that others will do the same.


Voices of Diversity is an opportunity to record our reflections for the sake of sharing a new prospective. Like the uniqueness of snowflake, each of us receives our message through our own filters. Those filters are designed by our life’s experiences, and emotional cultivation. As you listen to my voice, understand that it is but one person’s perspective in a world of infinite ways of hearing. To make this place true to its purpose and title your voice is essential. Please share your voice of diversity.

No comments:

Post a Comment